Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

14/08/2016

August's Words - bit late - oops!

I have had several reminders that I've not posted our words for August (sorry!! still recovering from a brilliant holiday then going straight back into a busy working day )
  1. Blue
  2. Eye
  3. Button
  4. Favourite
  5. Feet
  6. Glass
  7. Green
  8. Floor
  9. Knitted/Crocheted
  10. My own choice

 


I'd watched and heard the small but 'busy' flock of sheep coming down the road. They 'baa-ed' and snatched at grass as they purposely filled the small road. At the back a woman and a red car followed and I could see that there was a steady dialogue between the walker and the driver.
 By the time most of the sheep had walked passed me (I was leaning up against the car watching this little scene) I spoke to the woman saying.... 'Most shepherds use a border collie to help them move the flock - you had a little red Renault!' 
She laughed back and waved goodbye to the car as she walked over to me. She said in the most beautifully lilting Scottish accent ...'Aye, I din ken* who they are - they were so patient and followed my girls with nay bother' (didn't know)
The sheep continued down the road unaccompanied by their shepherd as she carried on chatting to me.
She explained that her sheep used to leave the road and continue across the bay and along the beach back home until a couple of years ago a dog had chased them across the sands into the oncoming tide.
Ever since that day the flock steadfastly stuck to the road, regardless of any traffic about.  I watched as they continued to the T junction, turn right and then turn left into their farm. Their shepherd proudly told me that if left, they would return home by themselves along 2km road. She was only there to open and close the gates! She laughed again, wished me a good holiday and trotted after them, they were almost home at that point and needed a gate unlatching!

That 'string' of white specks are the sheep as they returned to their farm, behind the bay they used to walk across.


Now, if you'll excuse me - I am off to watch a bit more of the Olympics!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! It must have been an adorable thing to see the sheep crossing! Indeed sweet! I really enjoyed the opening of the Olympics in Rio! I think Brazil did an awesome job despite the issues they had. Thanks for the delightful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lovely scene. We encountered cows going for milking on a Devon the other day, but stupid me had put the camera in the boot thinking I won't need that again today.......!

    The list looks interesting

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Photo list - when is the reveal date please? So good to read about a patient driver, allowing the sheep to able along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story and we've been stuck behind both sheep and cattle here in Oz and UK. I don't mind, except when the cows lick your car. Ugh! Thanks for our words, which I thought about only last night, then it popped up this morning. There are a few 'hard' ones this time. My granddaughter MM put together a list for you back in June, so must tell you what was on it at some time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely holiday memory - one to treasure!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoever said that sheep were stupid hadn't met this flock! Great story and lovely pics. And thank you for the prompts - will have to get the thinking cap on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    I am so sorry I have not been around recently. I've actually been on a cruise for almost 2 weeks and before I was in France for a week! I do apologise for the lack of blog presence and comments. I do hope you are well!

    OOOOH the sheep!!!!! This is a wonderful memory! Ha, sheep are so daft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sheep story! I had thought maybe there won't be any prompts this month! I hope to join in, but will see........time and all that ;). Did you have a date in mind?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.