Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

05/08/2015

Bring your own ladder!

You know that delicious moment when you realise that you have woken up on holiday and you are cozy and warm in your sleeping bag.

No deadlines, no rush, no need to immediately get up.

The pleasure of cupping your hands around a steaming hot mug of coffee as you look out the window.......and watch the billions and billions of dancing midgies...ravenous, man-(woman too) eating midgies.

The pleasure of a smile to the sun when it attempts to peak through the rain clouds while you anticipate the endless micro adventures (daubed in anti-midge cream thick enough to repel elephants) that you will have.


Our adventure was history and murder all rolled into one.
We followed a stony track then a boggy field to find
Hughe's Castle on the rocky shores of Lock Snizort.

Built with no entrance, relying - in it's day - on a wooden ladder to the second floor, 
we scrambled through a small window located in the thick stone wall.

Inside all we discovered was a riot of weeds 
happily growing in a sheltered walled ruin.


We squeezed back out and sat on the loch shores and thought on the story of the castle.

Hugh (Uisdean MacGespig Chleirch) built his little castle after a wild life of pirating and buccaneering. He was an ambitious man and plotted against his uncle - Donal Gorm Mor - to become the clan chief. He hatched a plan and wrote a letter to both his Uncle and an assassin to invite them to his castle.

The only problem with this plan?
He sent each person the other's letter.

His Uncle, for obvious reason was not impressed with his nephew so 'invited' him back to his own castle, threw him in the dungeon and (so the story goes) Hugh was only fed salted beef and fish and not allowed anything to drink.

Hugh was then walled up and left to die a lingering death.
Happy families!

 Our return journey was not as sunfilled as the outward one.
Within a blink of an eye a torrential downpour soaked us to the skin.

Shivering in the car, Himself put the heating on full,
steaming the windows and
warming us all.

The rain continued for the rest of the day.

Later, during the evening, when we had eaten, scrabble played, tea and hot chocolate consumed, Himself noticed a chink of gold through the breaking clouds.

Rousing three teenagers from their snug spots was easier than we thought as we
chased the sunset over the hills then down to the sea.
 We stood and watched.
I shivered in the cool evening air.
It was so incredibly beautiful.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my last couple of holiday posts - It makes my heart skip a happy skip when I read them (✿◠‿◠) xx

7 comments:

  1. Lovely pics again, but the sunset was just stunning. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible sunsets!! Great tale too, amazing what people got up to in the days of yore isn't it! I wonder what people will make of our exploits in the future! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hawthorn, those sunset pictures. One of your best photos. Just love the isolation of Skye but then practicalities of shopping, etc rear their ugly heads and I feel I have to stay much nearer to 'civilisation' but thankfully I can have moments of solitude (with good company) as I read your posts. Thanks for making me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing sunset you were able to be part of ... isn't mother nature wonderful (except when she sends midges to nip and bite you!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the story and the sunset is really beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those historical little tidbits...I remember being in Northern Ireland and Ireland and hearing many of these such stories. The clouds in the day are so pretty in that landscape but give it a brush of oranges to play with at night and Oh My!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that sunset............... x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.